Legal and General will hold consultation events this week on plans to build over 600 homes at the former site of Woolwich Polytechnic school on Macbean Street in Woolwich town centre.
The first event runs this Thursday from 3pm-7pm and then another on Saturday from 11:30am to 3pm. Both are at South London Academy at 115-123 Powis Street which is above Clarks and Argos.
I’ve been covering developments on the site over recent years. After Victorian school buildings on site were demolished around a decade ago the site has mainly lay empty with applications for car parks rejected.
Then the plot was purchased by L&G in July 2018 who last month asked Greenwich Council about the possibility of constructing a 22-floor tower. This event will reveal whether they are pursuing buildings of similar height.
Legal and General are also behind plans for towers in Lewisham town centre along Loampit Vale on the site of Sports Direct, yet despite approval a couple of years ago no progress has been made.
This latest Woolwich scheme joins a long list either recently completed or in progress:
The scheme joins many others in Woolwich either approved or planned including:
- Callis Yard (covered here– finished but legal hold ups impacting residents. More on that soon)
- Spray Street (742 homes – covered here)
- Wellington Street (Wellington Quarter – see here)
- Royal Sovereign House (covered here – work now underway)
- The Island Site (310 homes)
- Former Catholic Club (covered here)
- Mortgramit Square (Covered here yet area now in conservation zone – more on that soon)
- Trinity Walk (see here and part of 1,600 “One Woolwich ” scheme)
- Royal Arsenal – numerous sites. (3000+ homes)
- Armourers Court on top of eastern end of Crossrail station (394 flats)
- New Waterfront Leisure Centre and homes at Wilko site
- Potential tower in front and to rear of Tesco (800 homes)
- DLR station site (you never know, it may stop being landbanked after 10 years)