TfL look to build giant build-to-rent development in Woolwich

Transport for London recently announced an intention to build a number of build-to-rent housing schemes including Woolwich as part of a program to construct 3000 such homes.

Details on where in Woolwich were less forthcoming. There are two potential sites that could accommodate hundreds of homes.

DLR sites in blue

One is above and around Woolwich DLR station, which has lay empty for almost a decade since an agreement between Oakmayne and TfL was signed for new housing.

Approved but never built

Despite approval for part of the site nothing has ever happened.

Another site is above the eastern end of the forthcoming Woolwich Elizabeth Line station where plans for a towers Armourers Court and 400 homes were approved back in 2014, when a 2018 start date was announced.

Armourers Court

That site is ready to go once the station is complete, so should be easier to get off the ground and help with TfL’s strained finances once rental income flows in.

Box at eastern end of station. Homes coming above and around

It has hired property agent Savills to find partner for the project. As part of any deal, the transport body would take a 49% stake and the other party 51%.

Other sites are:

  • Nine Elms
  • Southall
  • Canning Town
  • Arnos Grove
  • Cockfosters
  • Hounslow West
  • Kennington
  • Newbury Park
  • Wembley Park

Build to rent schemes have been seen by some as a major solution to London’s housing shortage , yet the first tranche of schemes have offered very expensive flats at higher rents than already expensive average local levels.

Unless that changes, it’s not a widespread solution and taxpayers will continue to pay ever higher housing benefit costs.

I have a new donation target on Ko-Fi. Thanks to all who have donated so far. The site survives thanks to the kind support of readers.

You can also become a Patron at


Running a site alone takes time and a fair bit of money. Adverts are far from enough to cover it and my living costs as a private renter.

You can support me including via Paypal here

Another option is via Patreon by clicking here

You can also buy me a beer/coffee at Ko-fi here

There's also a Facebook page for the site here

Many thanks

J Smith

I've lived in south east London most of my life growing up in Greenwich borough and working in the area for many years. The site has contributors on occasion and we cover many different topics. Living and working in the area offers an insight into what is happening locally.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.