Plans are in to demolish Gallions View care home in Thamesmead.
The home closed recently and plans are in for 333 homes on site.
Developer Fairview want to demolish the former home this November according to the latest application and notices on site.
A number of reasons were given to demolish the care home:
- Gallions View Care Home is an obsolete first generation purpose built care home. Despite
being a large facility, the accommodation arranged in poorly specified individual buildings
that need to be staffed individually, and is therefore not attractive to current
- It is not commercially viable for the home to continue in its current operation as the
business is loss making after head office costs and capex.
- Upgrading the accommodation would not be financially viable or economic as bedroom
space will be lost, making the individual living units even more inefficient to operate.
- The review of demand/supply dynamics within the Greenwich Borough do not
substantiate a need for additional care home provision.
- The limited affluence profile in the area relative to the positioning of the Property.
Earlier this year Fairview stated they wished to start on site in January 2022: