Extinction Rebellion block Tower Bridge

Extinction Rebellion have blocked approach roads to Tower Bridge this afternoon.

Protestors gathered on either side, alongside the bridge itself.

Police have currently moved protestors from some areas, and are in the process of moving many people from roads to the north.

The action is part of two weeks of protest, with a camp set up on Blackheath.

This website is a labour of love and almost entirely the work of one person (me!). It takes a lot of time to research and write new posts and as a private renter, I'm not flush with money.

If you can help it's much appreciated. You can make a one off payment or become a regular supporter through Paypal here

5 thoughts on “Extinction Rebellion block Tower Bridge

• August 30, 2021 at 7:51 pm

Cool, simply cool peaceful protest. Disruptive yes, but if it wasn’t, nobody would sit up and take notice, and carry on road building, tree felling , building on greenfield sites etc etc. And our climate will just deteriorate further, and ONLY THEN will we understand what REAL disruption is, and it’ll be too late to stop, as we never listened to these guys. So…cool guys keep at it.

• August 31, 2021 at 11:33 am

Unfortunately most of the protesters are there because they like a protest, rather than being informed about what they are protesting about. The amount of single-use plastic waste left behind at these events should make that clear.
    I can’t help feeling that it’s privileged people stopping less privileged people getting to work, and being nasty at them for working at the weekend, then complaining in the afternoon that the builder was late for work on their extension.

If they were that bothered they could chip in to buy land to stop future development and to enjoy the wildlife, as people I know have done, but I think they’d rather buy a new “eco” car(with all the manufacturing pollution). Actions speak louder than words, and they occupy their time by telling everyone else to act instead of acting themselves.

• August 31, 2021 at 12:45 pm

Evidence of that?

XR may do things which IMO alienate people, but to state they’re ignorant of issues they campaign about, well, where’s the evidence?

• September 3, 2021 at 7:48 am

Good to see them at least disrupting cars instead of the trains.

I fear for anyone camping on blackheath with our ferral population on the binge in the evenings.

• September 6, 2021 at 12:27 pm

I didn’t call them ignorant, but campaigning to stop using fossil fuels while head to toe in plastic costumes – I’ll leave you to pick a suitable word. I’d think a good start would be to wear natural products like cotton, hemp or wool (if you aren’t an ethical vegan).