An extension constructed in the 1950s will be removed, with “the conversion of the Care Home to 7 self-contained houses comprising Windermere, Stables, Billiard Room Link, The Gables”.
Other changes included in the application include:
- Sympathetic but contemporary infill replacing the poor-quality extensions.
- Careful insertion of conservation rooflights to the rear allowing the existing large loft spaces to The Gables to be made habitable.
- Basement and with light wells added to The Gables and the Link
- Basement added to Windermere with sunken lower ground terrace below existing garden level
- Re-Landscaping the front to remove the excessive hardstanding and parking and return the deep front forecourt to residential gardens to the original design.
- Retain the openness of the rear gardens with natural divisions and open meadow to rear.
The site is located in the Blackheath Conservation Area and the Cator Estate.
The building is locally listed, and sits in an area with statutory listed buildings.
The plan’s Design and Access Statement highlights the sites history:
“What is now known as ‘The Gables’ were formerly two separate houses. In 1952 they were turned into a nursing home. Both were built in 1895/96 from designs by Sir Aston Webb and are mentioned by Sir Nikolaus Pevsner in his book, ‘The
Buildings of London’.”
In terms of internal features:
“Although much of the original features have disappeared or been damaged during the tenure of the Care Home, Windermere’s existing grand entrance, fireplace and staircase remains a prominent feature.
It is intended to retain this feature within the proposed plans, repairing and reinstating it to its original grandeur.”
You can view the application here. Owing to the locally listed and sensitive site, the application includes an extensive history of the building.