A plan to renovate and expand Plumstead Fire Station has been submitted with fire engine access moved around the corner to face Plumstead High Street.
Plans would see a new building on Plumstead High Street plus a new community room and renovations to the existing building.
This new building would remove the severance caused by the demolition of a bakers some decades ago. This image from the Heritage Statement shows the former building:
The station has existed on site since construction by the London County Council and opened in June 1907. Considerations were made to move the station in recent years which have been abandoned.
The main entrance door onto Lakedale Road is to be renovated – while the current appliance bays will offer access to a community room.
Plans state: “We propose restoring newly built original 1906 period doors to the existing Appliance Bay as well as restoring and reopening the original front door. The brickwork and stone facing will also be carefully cleaned, checked for defects and repaired where necessary.”
Renders of the extension can be seen below:
Renovations to both the external and internal elements of the structure will restore original features, including this bricked-up window circled in red:
Click here to view plans. The Heritage Statement contains a huge amount of photographs, explains design evolution and a history of the site. Well worth a read.