A number of people have been jailed for a string of ram raids across south east London.
Cash machines were ripped out in Abbey Wood, Woolwich and Dartford.
A cash machine at the co-op on Eynsham Drive in Abbey Wood was ripped out with £56,000 stolen. The supermarket left the site months after the attack.
The same gang attacked Wilco in Woolwich.
DC David Crewe from the Met’s Flying Squad said: “None of the defendants have shown any remorse for their actions. They were intent on committing well-planned criminality, which has had a significant impact on their victims and the wider communities of south east London. The resultant reduction in crime in the weeks after the arrests demonstrates how prolific the crime group was. None of the stolen cash has been recovered, which in turn has had a major impact on the cash machine companies and the associated stores that house the machines. I am pleased with the sentences passed and hope this gives some closure to the victims.”
DI Jason Barber stated: “My officers from the Flying Squad worked tirelessly over many months to identify the whole team responsible for this crime wave. These criminals chose to steal rather than work for what they wanted. They gave no thought to the impact on their victims or the communities the ATMs served. They invaded people’s homes, mostly during the night and stole valuables and vehicles. The public deserve to be protected from these people and feel reassured that the police take this criminality seriously. I hope the sentences passed act as deterrent to others and help to rehabilitate those responsible.”
According to the Met:
- Carl Fletcher, 30 (24.08.88) of Beveridge Court, Saunders Way, SE28 pleaded guilty. He was sentenced to a total of 15 years’ imprisonment.
- Mantas Antulis, 26 (12.03.93) of Rose Glen, RM7 pleaded guilty. He was sentenced to eight-and-a-half years’ imprisonment and disqualified from driving.
- Steven Akers, 27 (20.12.91) of The Oaks, SE18 pleaded guilty to conspiracy to burgle non-residential premises – targeting ATM machines and production of cannabis. He was sentenced to five-and-a-half years’ imprisonment.
- Nicky McKenzie, 38 (20.02.81) of Bostall Hill, SE2 pleaded guilty. He was sentenced to seven years and four months’ imprisonment.
- Sam Hawkins, 31 (10.08.87) of Willow Lane, SE18 pleaded guilty. A further five counts (3x burglary, 1x fraud by false representation and 1x criminal damage) were taken into consideration when the Judge considered his sentence. He was sentenced to nine years and four months’ imprisonment.
- Stacey Bass, 31 (10.08.87) of Willow Lane, SE18 pleaded guilty to 10 x Vehicle Thefts. She was sentenced to 22 months’ imprisonment.
- Robbie Bennett, 20 (16.12.98) of Gannet Lane, Wellingborough, NN8 pleaded guilty to 1 x Vehicle Theft and 2 x Handling Stolen Goods. He was sentenced to 22 months’ imprisonment.