Contractor Coinford has released images showing work is now well underway building 518 homes in Bexleyheath town centre at the former council Civic Centre site.
Just 22% are “affordable” and none at social rent levels.
Sports Direct plan to open a large store on the ground floor.
A proposal to pedestrianise part of Highland Road beside the development has been scrapped.
The development brings much income to Bexley Council including:
- £4.2 million through the Community Infrastructure Levy.
- An additional £3.1 million will be brought in to the council through the New Homes Bonus. There’s a bonus for councils in ensuring higher numbers of “affordable” housing so the low 22% figure will cost them income.
- £790,000 per year in council tax income.
- Nine retail units are included, including Sports Direct, which will bring in £79,000 in business rates.
- Find this news of interest? Donating to support the site means I can bring you daily news and events. I have pages to do so at either Patreon or Ko-Fi
- There is now a From The Murky Depths Facebook page. Click here to follow and see stories on your Facebook feed.