Bexleyheath’s 518-flat town centre scheme gets underway
Contractor Coinford has released images showing work is now well underway building 518 homes in Bexleyheath town centre at the former council Civic Centre site.
Just 22% are “affordable” and none at social rent levels.
Sports Direct plan to open a large store on the ground floor.
A proposal to pedestrianise part of Highland Road beside the development has been scrapped.
The development brings much income to Bexley Council including:
- £4.2 million through the Community Infrastructure Levy.
- An additional £3.1 million will be brought in to the council through the New Homes Bonus. There’s a bonus for councils in ensuring higher numbers of “affordable” housing so the low 22% figure will cost them income.
- £790,000 per year in council tax income.
- Nine retail units are included, including Sports Direct, which will bring in £79,000 in business rates.
- Find this news of interest? Donating to support the site means I can bring you daily news and events. I have pages to do so at either Patreon or Ko-Fi
- There is now a From The Murky Depths Facebook page. Click here to follow and see stories on your Facebook feed.