Dog dies in Plumstead tower block fire

A fire which broke out in a Plumstead flat last week was caused by a faulty tumble dryer according to the London Fire Brigade.

According to the LFB six fire engines and around 40 firefighters were called to Felspar Close:

“A four-roomed flat on the sixth floor of the building was destroyed by fire. Around 30 people left the building before the Brigade arrived. Sadly, a dog was found dead inside the flat.

The fire was discovered by a passer-by who could see smoke coming from the sixth floor and called the Brigade. 

The Brigade was called at 1900 and the fire was under control by 2007. Fire crews from Plumstead, Erith, Bexley and East Greenwich fire stations attended the scene. 

The Brigade’s Fire Investigators believe the fire was accidental and involved a tumble dryer.”

The block is located on Rockmount estate. Over the years a steady list of emails have come in from the estates residents regarding poor conditions internally and externally. While some estates have seen substantial refurbishment work or even plans for comprehensive redevelopment, this estate has had neither.

I do wonder what the plans are for it. I guess whether the flat will be refurbished will tell us any future intention.

This website is a labour of love and almost entirely the work of one person. It takes much time and as a private renter, I'm not flush with money. Any help from readers is a massive help. You can make a one off payment or become a regular supporter through Paypal here

You can also contribute via my Patreon account by clicking here

John Smith

I've lived in south east London most of my life growing up in Greenwich borough and working in the area for many years. The site has contributors on occasion and we cover many different topics. Living and working in the area offers an insight into what is happening locally.

4 thoughts on “Dog dies in Plumstead tower block fire

  • July 12, 2020 at 6:17 pm
    Permalink

    How very sad.My thoughts with the dogs owners at this time.

    I hope the owners are okay and receiving the help and support they need ay this very distressing time.

    Reply
  • July 12, 2020 at 9:39 pm
    Permalink

    The general advice is NEVER leave a clothes dryer turned on while not home for this very reason of catching fire if the lint isnt cleaned out properly.

    Reply
  • July 13, 2020 at 5:49 am
    Permalink

    Yes that is true.Karen Durrant.That is the only problem with flats you tend to have to rely on tumle drivers to dry washing as unfortunately you have no outside space to dry washing on a washing line.

    For this reasons I have suggested a few times before new developments have spaceprovided for a laundry rooms. As now days on new developemnts your kitchen is also in your main living aea which is not ideal.

    Reply
  • July 15, 2020 at 4:58 pm
    Permalink

    I have never felt the need for a tumble dryer. I have an old-fashioned, wooden, collapsible clothes horse that does me fine. A dryer makes everything too crisp and difficult to iron. In addition, they are expensive to run.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.