Plans are in the refurbish the Shrewsbury Centre in Plumstead alongside a former Cold War bunker in the grounds.
Grade II listed Shrewsbury House is a much loved venue used for weddings and community events.
It’s also beside a Command Post built during the Cold War in 1955.
It reported to the main Woolwich borough command centre in New Eltham. That remains firmly closed to the public while the building beside Shrewsbury House is in public use. Both ceased their Cold War roles in 1968. Shrewsbury House itself was listed in 2012.
Back in 2018 I took a look at the New Eltham bunker located behind New Eltham library.
New Eltham’s centre opened a year earlier in 1954.
The Plumstead structure is pretty much identical save for an external paint job.
Upcoming work will include:
- Replacement of roof coverings
- Insulation upgrades in association with the above and in line with Building Regulations.
- Installation of GRP edge trims in association with the above.
A lot more work will be carried out at the Shrewsbury House including:
- Renewal of roof coverings in Keymer UK handmade heritage clay tiles (clay from S/E England).
- Insulation upgrades to the main roof including to dormer cheeks in a manner to minimise the impact on the roof profile.
- Replacement of all flat roofing asphalt to balconies canopies, etc. To be replaced in IKO specification asphalt with insulation upgrades only where necessary and practical. This includes replacement of promenade tiles where currently provided.
- Timber care repairs to joinery, including redecoration of these items in matched colours (majority white).
- Brick and pointing repair, in matched materials and colours. Repair requirements are minimal.
- Stonework repairs and cleaning including replacement of 1Nr. baluster to the canopy at the main entrance of the building.
- Installation of a fire alarm system providing full coverage.
- Installation of a hardwood sports floor to one room, which will include adjustment and possibly alteration of two doorsets comprising 1Nr 1980’s double doorset and a single, original doorset.
- Replacement of some controls to hearing system, within boiler housing.
A gazebo on site will also see work including cutting back vegetation.
Full plans can be viewed here.